Tuesday, October 02, 2012

The Season of Monsters

As a kid, September was a drag because it meant the end of summer vacation and back-to-school time. What got me through was thinking about October following after.

I never thought of October as my favorite month, although it is fun. It wasn't so much about costumes and Trick-or-Treat-ing for me; instead, it was all about haunted houses and the plethora of monster movies and specials shown on TV at Halloween time. That doesn't happen so much anymore on network television, aside from the marathons on Turner Classic Movies. With some luck, I might get my Cult Classic movie series restarted this month.

Later this week: the third and final installment of my Gen Con report, and new DVD/Blu-ray releases.

2 comments:

Victor Von Dave said...

I'm DVRing a bunch of those TCM films. After growing up consuming all the monster movies I could find it still amazes me how many I haven't seen yet :)
I just watched House of Dracula for the first time, which wasn't all that good, but I don't know how a Universal picture with the Wolfman, Dracula and Frankenstein's Monster flew under my radar all these years (with a hunchback thrown in for good measure).

Kaiju said...

Those later Universals are fun, just not the ones I would watch again and again. :)

We canceled our dish service several years ago, and TCM is by far the channel I miss the most. I could watch it all day.