I'm eager to run an RPG campaign again. We had a short test run of D&D 5e for three sessions, using the Starter Set adventure The Lost Mine of Phandelver. The players and I had fun, although I'm not sure it was enough time to really test the system. My takeaway -- based as much on other reviews I have read as on our playtest -- is that it delivers just what I want "D&D" to be. There will always be tweaks and house-ruling, but it works as written, and at the right balance for me between simplicity and complexity.
The campaign ideas foremost on my mind at the moment:
- D&D 5e, possibly starting with Phandelver and leading into Horde of the Dragon Queen (a heavily hacked and curtailed version) and The Rise of Tiamat (dragon cultists!). Or something completely different.
- A Red and Pleasant Land, using 5e for the rules system
- Shadowrun, perhaps using Savage Worlds.
- Night's Black Agents: Dracula Dossier (not out until August/September)
- Call of Cthulhu (a perennial favorite)
- Conan, using Barbarians of Lemuria (The Mythic Edition of the game is due any moment now)
On the blog, I'd like to write more reviews -- both of games and gaming products, and of films, reviving the Cult Classic of the Week series.