Wednesday, February 26, 2014

What to expect in 2014

Following on from my 2013 wrap-up, I've thought a bit about what I would like to do with my gaming this year and writing about it. I am a player in two face-to-face games, and the regular Weird Adventures G+ Hangout game I play in will be going on hiatus for a bit. I'd like to run something, even a short self-contained cycle of sessions, either face-to-face or over G+. Getting my schedule straightened out will be the main obstacle.

I don't want to make promises like I did this time last year. It was my goal to run Night's Black Agents sometime in 2013 and it didn't happen due to other real-life committments (I did get to play in two one-shot sessions). I will try to be more Zen-like about it and simply say "I'll do my best" this year.

With the new American Godzilla film out this May (and related DVD/Blu-ray releases) I'll have plenty to write about concerning giant monsters, along with the usual fantasy, sci-fi and horror topics.

I also want to get more gameable content posted. Often I feel as if something isn't thoroughly playtested and edited, it isn't worth posting, especially when I see all the great work done by other gaming bloggers. I need to get in the habit of posting work-in-progress, just so I can see some progress and move forward.

Areas of interest at the moment:
  • Cyberpunk settings have been on my mind lately, so...
  • converting rules-heavy settings like Shadowrun or Dark Heresy to rules-light systems: Fate Accelerated, Savage Worlds, or maybe the 2d6 system from Barbarians of Lemuria.
  • Going into more detail about my Montgolfier Brothers alt-history setting, or one of the others in the back of my mind
  • Getting Night's Black Agents, Hyborian Age/Conan, and/or a back-to-basics OSR game (Dungeon Crawl Classics, possibly) to the table or on G+
  • At the very least, adding more links to my neglected NBA resources page.

5 comments:

Trey said...

You've got some good ideas there. I hope you run something on G+.

Kaiju said...

@Trey: Thanks! I appreciate that.

Undeadhost said...

I think Dark Heresy could be done in Savage Worlds. However, it might loose some of what makes the rules fun. As someone without a 40k background, it really felt like what I expected the setting to be.

That said, here's a link for you to someone's translation... http://savageheresy.wikidot.com/crypt-archives

I say pick one of the games and focus on it. Socialize it out to people you want interested in it, so that in 6 months (or whenever) you get around to running it, we've been thinking on it and planning for it. It may help other GMs to know what you may be aiming for in the future. I, personally, don't like to load up on one genre. So, If I'm running fantasy, Lowell is running fantasy, and you decide to run fantasy and want me in the game, I am less likely to say yes.

Mind you, I'm going back to modern or maybe, maybe sci-fi after I'm done running fantasy...whenever that will be.

A topic for another day, but do the local GMs do enough communication about their game schedules, games ending/beginning, sharing players, and discussion of who is running which genres? I don't think we do and it might help us to start doing that. It doesn't need to be official stuff, but it could be helpful at some level.

Undeadhost said...

loose = lose

cause spelling is hard.

Kaiju said...

@Derek: That's a good plan. I'll look at that when I get to that point. I'm guessing that player interest in something different will be a big part of it.

And thanks for the link. There's a ton of conversions over at savageheroes.com as well, I just haven't sorted through anything yet.

Nothing formal about game schedules besides casual conversation, although a really simple page with schedules would be a neat thing to have.