Monday, May 30, 2011

Another consideration for Conan RPG rules

I mentioned before that I have been looking at systems to use for a Hyborian Age campaign eventually; something that matches up to the weird pulp fantasy feeling one gets when reading Howard (and Lovecraft, and Smith, and Leiber...).

D. and I were talking recently about Labyrinth Lord, and I also want to check out OpenQuest. I need to investigate the damage dice variation for Action Cards, too.

Now, another possibility: Stuart at Strange Magic will be following up on his excellent Weird West RPG with Weird Fantasy. So many good choices!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting, half of the systems you mention in the other post and the ones here I have never evenheard about. Personally I´d go with Savage Worlds but I believe you already checked that in your other article. It´s interesting how many different Pulp possibilities are around. I always wanted to GM a campaign in a world similar to Conan, but not Conan.

When you check all these systems out, will you share your view and opinion on ech and why you decided for/against it?

Chuck said...

I did a little thinking about doing a Conan or at least Conan style game too. I love Savage Worlds but personally I was thinking of doing a little modification to Green Ronin's Dragon Age RPG. Combat can be gritty and interesting and the magic isn't too over the top.

Kaiju said...

@chaosmeister - I've run SW one-shots twice: one was a Star Wars conversion, and one was a straight-up 1930s pulp scenario. I like SW, but I'm still looking at other systems too. I will definitely post more about it here. Thanks for reading!

@Chuck - Thanks for the suggestion! I've heard good things about DA, but I haven't read it yet. I'd like to take a look at the Free RPG Day quickstart rules and give it a try.

matt said...

You thought of Barbarians of Lemuria (https://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=58815&) It is modeled after weird pulp fantasy and is a great little game, with a kick butt magic system.

Kaiju said...

I know a bit about it, but I haven't read it yet. It's another system that I'd like to look at more closely. Thanks!