Monday, August 12, 2013

Gen Con 2013 Preview, part 2


Continuing from part 1, very brief notes of new (and new-to-me) games on my list and making their debut at Gen Con 2013.

Pelgrane Press might get the majority of my cash this year. I mentioned 13th Age previously. Owl Hoot Trail is Kevin Kulp and Clinton R. Nixon's fantasy spaghetti western RPG using a simple d20+stat+skill system. I knew that Double Tap, the expansion book for Night's Black Agents, was in development, but being on the Gen Con release list came as a surprise. It's now my #1 must-have purchase of the show.

Catalyst Game Labs recently released the PDF of Shadowrun 5th Edition, and I hope to flip through the book at their booth. The Spell Card and Gear Card decks could be pretty neat as well. Despite owning several Cyberpunk 2020 and CyberSpace supplements, I don't have the rulebooks, and I've never played in a cyberpunk game. SR 5e has me interested again.

Catalyst is also showing off Alpha Strike, a fast-play tactical miniatures game set in the Battletech universe. I'm always curious about more minis games.

One of Chronicle City's new products is The Demolished Ones, which seems like a bizarre steampunk/horror/noir mystery RPG/setting combo. It has all the elements to be really interesting.

I'm hoping to pick up a copy of Monstrosities from Frog God Games. It has been available for a while and from everything I've read, it might be the best of the OSR monster books. At some point either at Gen Con or through my FLGS, I'd like to get a copy of the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG as well. I keep hearing enough praise for the game, and it could be fun to try out with our group.

With such a short list, I'm sure to have missed out on something. Take a look at the list of must-see booths and events at RPG Blog II.

If you see me at the convention, please say hello!


1 comment:

shortymonster said...

I think the new Shadowrun is coming out a great time. CP2020 is re-releasing their books, but with the console game on the way, and the new Shadowrun game on Steam, having something new there is sure to get a lot of people interested. Sadly, one of my first bad gaming experiences ever was in a Shadowrun game, so I never really gave it a chance. Maybe now's the time.